Sunday, June 14, 2009
Final Review
Hey everyone, the bok blog is almost over (i know it's very sad). All that is left to post is a final review of the book. What did you think of the book overall? Did you have a favorite/least favorite character? What did you think about Dan Brown's style? Feel free to discuss other aspects of the book as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This was an excellant book, the best fiction read I've had in a long time. I love the historical aspects of it (no mater how incorrect they are) and the twisting plot. I love history and so any book that can combine history with a thrilling storyline is okay in my book. I only have to say that The Da Vinci Code (which I've already finished) was better. In this case they were not the pursuers but the pursuees and the combination of avoiding capture while solving mysteries jsut barely edges out the opposite.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite character is Camerlengo because of his ingenious ploy to increase the faith in the church. And it would have worked too if it weren't for that meddling proffessor and his grilfriend too! No but I love the speech he gives on the relationship between religion and science and I really like the way Brown created his character. I originally picked Langdon but I've changed my mind after thinking it over some more.
Oh and Dan Brown's third book about Langdon, The Lost Symbol, about freemasons in Washington, DC comes out soon if you're interested. But read The Da Vinci Code first, it's really good.
ReplyDeleteIve already read the Da Vinci Code (and I must agree it's an amazing book). This book has to be one of my favorites. It was (like one of the quotes on the back cover said,) a book with a relatively high IQ. I loved all the side facts and the ties to science. This was different and it made everything much more interesting (especially because science and math are my main subjects). I also agree with Pat in that my favorite character was the Camerlengo. I was so surprised and I just thought he was ingenious and awesome. I wasn't a fan of Vittoria. Im not too sure why, but I just didnt start off with a good impression of her. Anyway, I'm glad that we read this book instead of Huck Finn and I will probably read it again in the future. It was an awesome choice. Now I just want to see the movie (although I heard it wasn't nearly as good as the book).
ReplyDeleteOh and do you know when The Lost Symbol comes out? It can join my list of books to read. I like Dan Brown as an author so I assume that it's going to be a good book.
ReplyDeleteWow now I feel like I have to read the Da Vinci Code because I thought this book was amazing and if you both think the DaVinci code is even better, then it must be REALLY good. Well, as for Angels and Demons, my favorite character was Vittoria because if you look back, I think she was the main reason Langdon was abl to follow the path of illumination. She did so much work but then she got almost no credit for any of it. She caught Langdon's mistakes; if it wasn't for her, he would still be sitting in the Pantheon! So after all of that ocmplaining you can probably guess that my least favorite character was langdon. I don't get why th eguy alwasy has to be the hero because I pictured him as a dumb confused bum the entire time and anytime he actually got something right, it was because of luck or some insane epiphany or something. Obviously, behind every seemingly powerful guy in a story, there has to be an even more powerful woman to stop him from being stupid. Anyone want to argue with that??? haha
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this book quite a bit; it was different than what I normally tend to read, usually being some sort of fantasy, and it was just interesting, I think, to see how he could take the real world and bend it a little bit to create his own story, instead of having to create an entirely new world. I couldn't put the book down once I got to the point where all of the cardinals were killed, and then where Langdon goes to find the Hassassin. It was just such a greatly crafted storyline, and how he ended it...wow. Utterly superb.
ReplyDeleteI gotta say, though, I hated the camerlengo and Kohler equally, considering that they were the two conservatives of the book. They were both too biased for my tastes, and neither one of them helped the situation at all. Langdon, although he made some mistakes here and there, really pulled through as my favorite character. Maybe it was because of all of those mistakes that he made along the way that made him so...human. Maybe that was the point; readers could relate to him more if he wasn't so perfect.
My favorite character definetly has to be Kohler. He is such a determined and awesome man. He was literally dieing and yet he still got out of his hopsital bed in order to stop the Illuminati. A man with that kind of determination is my hero. His intelligence and affiliation with CERN also makes him a good candidate for my favorite character. All he is missing is a good quote. Maybe like, "I still got it." or something like that. He is the elder but he possesses the most wisdom. Not to mention, he gets to use all those awesome machines at CERN
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe Camerlengo was annoying at times, but that was just because he seemed to have lost his mind.... Anyway, his plot was brilliant and I just liked the way his character was. He seemed hmm.. charismatic and powerful for someone so young. I liked the twist at the end, how the camerlengo was technically the Pope. That was really cool. Kohler was awesome too though for the same reasons Mike pointed out. He was willing to die to reveal the truth to the world - that takes some serious guts.
ReplyDeleteI also liked Langdon for the same reason Alex did. I didnt like Vittoria though (sorry Meagan). I just found her annoying. =)
And nice job on the blog Meagan! It does look pretty haha.
ReplyDeleteThis was a pretty amazing book. Much better than the movie in my opinion. It was a little slow in the begining, but it quickly got exciting and action packed. what I especially liked is that it all could be possible. We know for a fact that none of this is true, but still, the thought that something like this could be possible is pretty cool. My favorite character would have to be Kohler. He reminded me of one of those cranky old guys yelling at kids to get off his lawn. He was obviously smart, since he figured out that the Camerlango was Janus. What I did not understand was why he would confront him himself? he was old, sick, and crippled. Why would he talk to the camerlango alone instead of going to the proper authorities? As for the camerlango, i found him to be an interesting character. He was one of my favorite characters. He wasn't an idiot, he obviously knew alot about the church history and the illuminati. What made him one of my favorites is that he was determind. he was steadfast and uncompromising, he was so devoted to his faith and belief that he would do anything to protect it. He had an iron will. Unfortunatly, that did not really help him in the end. He had to learn the hard way that nothing can stay the same forever.
ReplyDeleteI don't get why no one likes Vittoria...Langdon is definitely much more annoying than her. He doesn't do anything by himself and everything that he accomplishes is the result of luck. Oh well, I guess I'm on my own with this one...:)
ReplyDeleteDan Brown is a very talented author. I feel that Angels and Demons is a little biased. Brown seems more of a science fan than a religion fan. I wonder how much research he did to write this book. His mind had to be very creative to think up such a complex story.
ReplyDeleteI am extremely happy that we chose to read Angels and Demons over Huck Finn. It was nice to read a book with more action in it. All the books we read this year were boring moralistic stories. The kind the school forces you to read because they think it will make you a better person.
Favorite Scene: Langdon jumping out of a helicopter and living. I have often wondered the possibility of surviving such a thing.
Least favorite character: lets see....Vittoria.
All she does during the whole book is make Langdon feel like a hero. Her purpose is irrelevant. She never once did anything significant besides push the Hassassin out the window. She was always an object of sexual desire throughout the book. Maybe Dan Brown should have made a point to say that WOMEN HAVE OTHER PURPOSES BESIDES SEXUAL DESIRES. Vittoria really just gets in the way of everything. The book could probably be about 30 pages shorter if all her useless lines were cut out.
Haha Mike - your post about Vittoria was great. Anyway, thinking up a plot like that must have taken forever. Not to mention making up a fake trail out of real churches and statues across Rome. Not to mention, Brown was really specific about everything: church names, statue names, vault numbers in the Vatican Archives. He must have really done his research (and probably traveling). This was definitely an awesome book though.
ReplyDeleteYeah it must of taken alot of time to actually look up and calculate all of those churches and the paths. It probably took even longer to find real churches and statues that actually fit the path he wanted them to take. Or are they like that for a reason? Maybe Dan Brown is an illuminati member! Or you know... maybe he's not.
ReplyDeleteMike Drechsler 12-18-09
ReplyDeleteSpecht; Deutsch 4/5 per.9
DIE VOKABEL
1. das Unwetter – thunderstorm
2. klettern – to climb
3. die Behörden – authorities
4. mitgerissen – carried away / (mitreisen – to carry away)
5. der Urlauber – vacationer
6. zelteten – camped / (zelten – to camp)
7. die Überlebenden – survivors
8. das Netz – net
9. betroffen – affected / concerned
10. örtlich – local
ZUSAMMENFASSUNG
Eine Gruppe von zwölf Deutschen war im Sudfrankreich bergsteigen. Während sie waren Canyoning, die Leuten waren bei ein Unwetter überrasched. Zwei Frauen haben gestorben; sie waren zwanzig und fünf-und-zwanzig Jahren alt. Seine Leiter, eine vierzig Jahre alte Fraue hat auch gestorben. Die Fluss hat nach dem Unwetter in eine reissenden Strom verwandelt. Glücklich, ein Man hat entfliehen wo ihn um Hilfe rufte. Ein Paar haben sofort nach eine Hospital beim Hubschrauber entrückt und ein andere Frau haben nach ein Hosipital für Hypothermie. Die Firmenwebiste hat deinem Slogan, “Kleine Abenteuer mit Rückfahrkarte,“ werde entfernt. Ich habe dieses Artikel gewählt weil es interessant war.